Saturday, October 20, 2012

Knitwear for Jam Jars

Since my early knitting days I have focused my stitching efforts on churning out garments of all varieties. Hats, scarves, the off pair of mittens, and my favorite: sweaters. Rarely did I cast on with the intention of knitting something that I or a knit-worthy recipient could not throw on before greeting a cool morning.

Knitted pillows? Lovely, but I couldn’t be bothered. Wooly throws? I adore the idea of having a few to toss over the back of our living room couch, but I can’t commit to knitting something that large. My inability to knit for the home has even put me off making that heirloom lace tablecloth I so badly want to conquer. Seriously – I planned to start that monster no fewer than three years ago, and I have yet to even attempt the cast-on.

So my most recent knitting project is somewhat of a breakthrough, because unlike my usual knitting fare, it cannot be worn. Well, it technically can be worn if you are a glass jar or aluminum can or some other round, container-shaped object. Yes, I made a knitted jar cover. But it is a knitted jar cover capable of turning a container destined for the recycling bin into a lovely vessel for flowers, pencils, and even, perhaps, knitting needles.

October 20, 2012
 It’s a project small enough to keep me from throwing it to the ground halfway in and returning to my beloved sweater knits, and it’s a fantastic canvas on which to practice stitch patterns that might one day become part of a sweater, hat, or other wearable. It also features a method of working from the center out using an i-cord umbilical cord (thank you techknitting), and for those of you who are like me – with lots of leftover yarn in amounts too tiny to make much – it’s great for stash busting.


Want to know how I did it? The full tutorial is here!

4 comments:

  1. how adorable! i should make a set of my own for my pencil containers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're really fun to make and take maybe two hours tops. Perfect instant gratification knitting.

      Delete
  2. those are great such good idea for storage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are awesome for storage -- you probably noticed that my DPNs have a new home. I had so much fun makiing these guys that more may be on the way. I was thinking about covering my big kitchen utensile jars too, but they'd have to be in something washable like cotton. Or maybe clothesline for a super quick knit ...

      Delete