Saturday, November 3, 2012

Goodbye Sandy, Hello November

When Super Storm Sandy barreled through the District earlier this week, we were prepared. Pasta, lentils, tomato sauce, and stock filled our pantry; a package of bottled water lay at the ready in the dining room; and I had queued up my knitting and craft projects. So I wasn’t surprised when Monday and Tuesday came and went without so much as a minute sans electricity. About four hundred thousand people in my area were not as fortunate, but that’s still a small number compared to the millions who are still in the dark along the east coast.

We weathered the storm on Monday with a succession of Christmas movies (I know, I know, it wasn’t even November. Oh the horror), homemade banana bread, and an ever-growing stack of crocheted Christmas trees. By Tuesday the worst of the storm had passed and I had strung the crocheted trees into a garland that, in a few weeks, will hang along our living room staircase.
Unlike Christmas movies, which I have no reservations about popping in the DVD player whenever the spirit moves me, Christmas decorations have no place in our home until mid-November at the very earliest. Besides, I am not yet prepared to part with my collection of ornamental gourds, my turkey pumpkin, and the autumn wreath I made a few weeks ago.

I may be waiting a little longer before I litter my house with fake evergreen and garlands ranging from the rustic, handmade variety to the tacky, sparkly, but with the crocheted trees began my holiday crafting spree. From now until December 24th I’ll be churning out ornaments, assembling gift baskets, knitting my fingers numb, and baking quick breads and candies until I am covered, head-to-toe, in a semi-permanent dusting of confectioner’s sugar. Although I will work up until Christmas, November is the best month for holiday make-ready, and I am celebrating with four weeks of Tutorial Tuesdays.

Starting next week, I’ll post a holiday DIY tutorial on the blog every Tuesday through the end of the month. This year’s theme is cheap and chic ornaments. Every project features supplies you probably already have lying around the house, or that you can buy for less than five dollars at any craft store. They may not cost much money or take much time to make, but I think the DIY project I have planned this month will add a ton of handmade cuteness to your holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment