Friday, September 7, 2012

No Knitting in New England

Last week Addie and I escaped the DC metro area’s persistent humidity and headed to New England for a family visit. I foolishly thought I would do a lot of knitting and packed accordingly – a partially completed dress for Miss A and a couple of balls of fingering weight yarn for a new hat design. In the days leading up to our departure, I happily daydreamed about a serene train ride with baby sleeping comfortably in her ergo carrier and me quietly knitting through Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York. The baby, apparently, did not share my daydream. She spent nearly the entire ride climbing over our seats, slapping the window, and peering down the aisle for a victim upon whom to unleash her babyish charm. And when she slept it was in my arms, ergo be darned!



This set the stage for our entire trip. Over six days I think I managed to knit 15 rounds of the in-progress dress and a partial gauge swatch for the hat. Considering it was in addition to a visit to Maine for a family reunion at Swan Lake State Park, and once we returned to Connecticut, an afternoon of apple-picking and visits with various relatives, I’ll call that success.

In lieu of fiber-centric content, photos from our week of family fun.


Swan Lake. Gorgeous, isn't it?


Addie takes a dip.


Fun at the picnic. This is Addie mid-raspberry. Very ladylike.


A lone Macintosh apple, growing too high for anyone to reach.

2 comments:

  1. can't believe you thought you'd get knitting done with a toddler on a train, far to exciting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was. I guess I've learned my lesson, and now I'll look back fondly on the days when she slept through long trips.

      Delete